Facelift and Neck Lift Sydney
Facelift and Neck Lift
Cosmetic elective procedure
- Not covered by private health insurance or medicare
- Day procedure
- Most patients stay overnight
People visit us at Form and Face eager to enjoy the facial rejuvenation and improved appearance that cosmetic surgery can provide. Many seem afraid of the terms facelift and neck lift, concerned about the procedures themselves, as well as the results.
We understand! Facial surgery is not something that should be entered into lightly. However, we would hate for fear to come between you and the procedures that can help you reverse the visible signs of ageing caused by
- Exposure to the sun
- Environmental factors
- Lifestyle choices, including smoking
- The unstoppable march of time
- The inescapable effects of gravity
Dr Benjamin Norris, our resident facial surgery expert, provides patients at Form and Face with a wide range of techniques that lift the face and neck areas. He will meet with you personally to determine which procedures are best suited to your goals and your facial structure.
Cosmetic Surgery for an Ageing Face
Facial cosmetic surgery helps recreate the youthful contours of an individual’s cheekbones, neck, and jaw line.
Techniques and tools have improved significantly since the birth of modern plastic surgery in the early 20th Century.
Today’s face and neck lifts can
- Erase deep creases that age your appearance
- Firm sagging skin that makes you look older than you are
- Tighten underlying tissues that cause sagging features
- Remove excess fat deposits that mar facial contours
- Halt migrating skin that leads to jowls
- Redefine jaw and neck lines that have grown lax
Dr Norris works tirelessly to ensure that natural expression lines, such as smile lines, are unaffected by surgery so your face will appear natural looking when it is in repose, as well as when you are speaking or laughing. His goal is to create a youthful facial appearance that is natural looking, not overdone, operated on, or frozen in place.
Who Is a Good Candidate for a Face or Neck Lift?
If you are over the age of 40, you are a good candidate for a facelift or neck lift. An ideal patient is in good health with skin that has retained some of its elasticity, and has a strong well-defined bone structure.
These procedures are not recommended for younger patients whose visible signs of ageing can be addressed effectively with less invasive treatments. Nor are they recommended for patients who are obese, have problems with blood clotting, uncontrolled high blood pressure, or a tendency to form large scars. There are, however, other facial enhancement procedures offered at Form and Face that Dr Norris will be happy to discuss with you.
How to Prepare for a Facelift or Neck Lift
Prior to a facelift or neck lift, Dr Norris will meet with you in our Bondi Junction practice for a preliminary consultation. At that time, he will evaluate your skin tone and facial structure, including the degree of droop/sag in your skin and the amount of excess fatty tissue that is disrupting the naturally attractive contours of your face.
Next, Dr Norris will discuss treatment options that will help you achieve your goals. He will take your medical history and also question you about your expectations regarding a surgical outcome.
Your consultation also includes a “Kodak moment” when your photograph will be taken to be included in your medical records. This will allow you to see the dramatic improvements that your facelift or neck lift provides.
Then it’s time for you to do the talking…
Dr Norris will listen carefully to your concerns and answer any questions you have. He will explain how the operation is performed, and where the scar will be placed. Finally, he will talk frankly with you about the limitations and risks of facial rejuvenation surgery, as well as what to expect during the recovery process.
If you decide to move forward, you will then meet Shannon, our bright and friendly Practice Manager. Shannon will arrange a detailed quote and discuss your options for surgery.
Dr Norris prefers to see patients again at a second consultation prior to performing a facelift or neck lift. At that time, he will give you detailed and specific instructions on how to prepare for surgery. These instructions include:
- Stop Smoking – Dr Norris requires that his patients stop smoking 2 months prior to a facelift or neck lift procedure. Smoking inhibits circulation, and good circulation is essential to healing and optimal outcomes.
- Stop Taking Blood-Thinning Medications – Discontinue any medications you are taking that are associated with a risk of increased bleeding two weeks prior to surgery. This includes over-the-counter preparations and prescribed medication, as well as herbal supplements. The only exceptions are medications that have been approved by Dr Norris.
- Arrange for an Escort – You will need to arrange for a patient escort to take the “new you” home after your procedure.
Your surgery will be performed by Dr Norris in fully accredited medical facilities where you will be attended to by top professionals, including an anaesthetist with whom Dr Norris works regularly. Face and neck lifting procedures are performed under general anaesthesia.
There are three steps in a traditional full-face facelift
- Main Incision – This incision is made above the hairline and continues in front of and behind the ear. It is hidden in the hair line so that only a small scar will be visible post-surgery.
- Secondary Incision – This incision is made beneath the chin.
- Tissue Repositioning – Dr Norris separates the skin from the underlying tissue, removes excess fat, and tightens the muscle and tissue. The skin is pulled upwards and the incisions are closed.
Face and neck lift surgery takes approximately 3-5 hours, depending on the patient and the procedure. If you are having out-patient surgery, you will be in the hospital for about seven hours. More complex procedures may require an overnight stay.
After a facelift or neck lift, you’ll be taken to a recovery room. You’ll be given pain medication to reduce any discomfort you may be feeling and carefully monitored to ensure your comfort and safety.
You may have a bandage wrapped around your face, and tubes may be placed under your skin to help drain excess fluid. The tubes are removed in a day or two. Bandages remain in place for one to five days after surgery, but patients will need to wear a surgical facial garment for 6 weeks following a facelift or neck lift.
Stitches are used to close the incisions. These sutures are removed after five days. If your procedure requires the use of stitches or metal clips in the hairline area, they may be left in longer for maximum healing.
After Dr Norris removes your stitches and bandages:
- Your face is likely to feel stiff and immobile
- Areas affected by your surgery may feel numb
- There may be bruising and swelling
You will receive post-operative instructions that will expedite your healing, such as elevating your head and applying cold compresses to reduce swelling. You will also be given a prescription for medication to manage any discomfort you experience.
A follow-up appointment with Dr Norris will be scheduled for you 3-7 days after the operation. At that time, he will inspect your incision areas and change the dressing. As for other post-surgical advice:
- You may return to work and begin light exercise (such as walking) after 2 weeks
- You may resume normal daily exercise after 6 weeks
All surgeries carry some degree of risk, including blood clots and a negative reaction to anaesthesia. When you visit Form and Face for your consultation with Dr Norris, he will review all possible scenarios and create a plan of action that will help minimise your exposure.
Specific risks related to facelifts and neck lifts include:
- Nerve Injury
- Hair loss near the incision site
- Damage to deeper structures
- Asymmetry of features
There will be some scarring, but Dr Norris works carefully to make surgical incisions in the natural contours of the ear, in the hairline, or below the chin so they will be less likely to show. In many cases, thanks to his skill and artistry, the scars are completely unnoticeable!
There is no such thing as one-size/one-cost fits all when it comes to facial rejuvenation. Facelifts and neck lifts are highly individualised surgeries and, as such, there is no real way to calculate average costs. We can, however, invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr Norris by using the contact form below, or by calling us on 1800 376 677
Together you can discuss your surgical options at Form and Face, lay out a treatment plan that will help you achieve your goals, and obtain a personalised price estimate.
Here at Form & Face, we provide patients with a
Lifetime followup guarantee
This means that we will be there for you far beyond the recovery period.
You can rest assured knowing that you can come to us about any
post-surgical concerns for the rest of your life.