Male Liposculpture (Liposuction)
The most common areas with unwanted fat deposits are the tummy, outer and inner thighs, buttocks and the inner knees.
Male Liposculpture (Liposuction) involves sucking out fat cells, through very small incisions through the skin, using blunt-tipped cannulae. In some patients ultrasound is used to help with the removal of the fat cells.
What happens at the first consultation?
In your first consultation, Dr Norris will ask you what concerns you about certain areas of your body and what you hope to achieve by having surgery. He will also assess the amount of excess skin and fat you have and the elasticity of your skin. He will assess the nature of any old surgical scars. Dr Norris will discuss in detail how the operation is performed and where the scar can be placed. You will then be given a detailed quotation which outlines your options for surgery. If you decide to proceed, Dr Norris will see you again at a second consultation.
Dr Norris insists that all patients must stop smoking 2 months before embarking on any type of cosmetic surgery.
How is the male liposculpture operation done?
Dr Norris performs male liposculpture procedure in fully accredited medical facilities. You will be introduced to the anaesthetist that Dr Norris works closely with, who will in most cases give you a general anaesthetic. You will have a chance to speak to Dr Norris prior to having the procedure as he marks you up for the operation. Liposuction cases are based on time and therefore depends on the areas you have consented to. You will more than likely only stay for the day in hospital and see Dr Norris in his practice on day 3 after surgery.
What happens after the surgery?
- Male Liposculpture can take anywhere from 1-5hrs depending on the areas being treated.
- You will be in hospital bewteen 3-6 hrs in total before being discharged.
- You will remain in a surgical garment for 6 weeks.
- A friend, or responsible adult must collect you from the hospital as you may not drive home.
- You will leave with written postoperative instructions and a prescription for pain-relief.
- Daily short showers are permitted, ensuring your waterproof dressings are dried adequately.
- Sleeping may be uncomfortable for a period of time. Please ensure you get adequate bed rest.
- Within the first 2 days after surgery you will experience the worst of the discomfort, managed by your prescribed pain medication.
- You will have bruising, swelling, tenderness, and sensitivity. Swelling may vary from patient to patient and should resolve between 4-8weeks.
- Light exercise is permitted after 2 weeks, such as walking. Resuming normal daily exercise at 6 weeks as instructed by your Doctor.
- You can return to work after 1 week.
- A follow-up appointment will be booked for you on day 7 after the operation. This is to check your wounds and change the dressing.
Possible complications after Male Liposculpture
- Haematoma A collection of blood in the incision area, which is either naturally absorbed into the body or sometimes requires further surgical drainage. Symptoms include swelling, pain, bruising, hot to touch, or itchy breast.
- Infection Infections are unpredictable and normally occur in the first 3 weeks after surgery and treated immediately with antibiotics.
- Skin Laxity This may occur for patients who are having a large amount of fat removed. This can occur with areas such as inner and outer thighs and arms/batwings. Dr Norris will advise you if this is a possible complication.