Pectoral and Bicep Implants Sydney
Pectoral and Bicep Implants
- Elective cosmetic procedure
- No rebates from Medicare or private health insurance
- Day procedure only
Pectoral and bicep implants are popular for many reasons. It might be that you are suffering from a condition such as Poland syndrome (a condition that you are born with) and as a result are either missing a pectoral muscle or have a deformed muscle. You could have injured your pectoral or bicep muscle and are now left with a torn and obvious looking deformity. Or you might have a condition called pectus excavatum, where you have a concave chest wall. There are also other reasons such as simply desiring a larger chest wall or larger arms that no amount of weights and working out has given you. Any of these conditions and problems can have profound psychological and social consequences for a man. Unfortunately, many men are too embarrassed to seek treatment. We encourage any man who feels as though they have a small chest or small biceps to seek advice from a plastic surgeon to first establish what their options are.
It may have taken you a long time to seek treatment for the pectoral augmentation. Dr Norris appreciates the courage needed for many men to visit a surgeon and you can be assured that you will be treated with the utmost sympathy and discretion. Just like all procedures, they must be taken seriously, therefore you will be questioned about other symptoms, your past medical history, and the use of drugs and medications.
Dr Norris will evaluate your chest to determine whether your augmentation is for aesthetic or medical reasons. Photographs will be taken for your medical records. This evaluation helps Dr Norris discuss with you the best way of correcting your problem and returning your chest to a more masculine profile. Dr Norris will discuss in detail how the operation is performed, where the scars are placed, and what type of procedure will give you the result you desire. You will be shown what a pectoral implant looks like and the sizes available. There will also be a discussion about custom size implants if you are requiring a large augmentation. You will be encouraged to ask questions and voice any concerns you may have. There will be a frank discussion about the risks, complications and consequences of having an operation.
At the end of this initial consultation you will have a very good idea of what is possible for you. Dr Norris will arrange for a quotation to be given to you which will include detailed options for your surgery. Only in the case of a diagnosis of Poland syndrome will there be a part of the surgical fee and implants covered by Medicare and your Health Fund.
If you decide to proceed with surgery, Dr Norris will see you again at a second consultation. This allows you to ask any new questions you might have and confirm the size of the implants. At this consultation, a date for the pectoral and bicep implants surgery will be given to you.
Dr Norris performs male pectoral and bicep implants in fully accredited facilities. This is for your safety and to ensure optimum quality of care throughout the operation and the immediate post-operative period. The procedure can be performed under local anaesthetic with sedation or a full general anaesthetic, administered by Dr Greg Lindsay or Dr Mike Rose. You can expect the operation to take 1.5 hours.
The type of procedure you will have depends on the underlying cause of your gynaecomastia. The incision for the implant is made under the armpit, and is minimal in size. However the size of the incision is usually dependant on how large the implant you have selected is. The pectoral muscle is dissected and the implant is placed in position.
At the end of the operation the incisions are closed with absorbable sutures to save you the inconvenience of having them removed. A dressing is applied over the incisions and you will leave the hospital wearing a comfortable and supportive chest binder garment.
- Pectoral and Bicep Implants procedure takes approx. 1.5hrs to perform.
- You will be in hospital for approx. 4hrs in total before being discharged.
- A friend, or responsible adult must collect you from the hospital as you can not drive home.
- You will leave with written postoperative instructions and a prescription for pain-relief.
- You must remain in your provided garment for up to 6 weeks , removing only when showering.
- Daily short showers are permitted ensuring your waterproof dressings are dried adequately.
- Sleeping on your back will reduce swelling. Please do not sleep on chest or on your side.
- Within the first 2 days after surgery you will experience the worst of the discomfort, managed by your prescribed pain medication.
- You might have bruising, swelling, tenderness, and sensitivity. Swelling may vary from patient to patient and should resolve by 2 weeks.
- Light exercise is permitted after 1 week, such as walking. Resuming normal daily exercise at 6 weeks only as instructed by your Doctor.
- You can return to work after 1 week, unless it involves heavy lifting or use of the upper body. You may require to be on light duties for up to 3 weeks.
- A follow-up appointment will be booked for you on day 3-7 after the operation. This is to check your wounds and change the dressing.
- Haematoma A collection of blood in the breast pocket, which is either naturally absorbed into the body or sometimes requires further surgical drainage. Symptoms include swelling, pain, bruising, hot to touch, or itchy breast.
- Infection Infections are unpredictable and normally occur in the first 2 weeks after surgery and treated immediately with antibiotics.
- Scar Tissue You might experience hard lumps around your incision . This will eventually settle and subside but might require steroid injections into the scar tissue. Dr Norris will discuss this if need be.
Here at Form & Face, we provide patients with a
Lifetime followup guarantee
This means that we will be there for you far beyond the recovery period.
You can rest assured knowing that you can come to us about any
post-surgical concerns for the rest of your life.