What is sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy is the process in which broken spider veins (capillaries) on the face or legs are treated by injecting a sclerosing solution that works to shrink the appearance of the fine vessels. The solution is injected with an ultra-fine needle and will start breaking down, shrinking and then, eventually, closing the unsightly and non-functioning fine vessels. They are often located around the nasal base, across the cheeks, in front of the ears or anywhere on the legs.
The sclerosing fluid we use is NOT SALINE, but a more user-friendly solution:
- Does not sting like saline
- Causes fewer traumas to the surrounding tissues than saline
- Is more efficient than saline, requiring fewer treatments
How is it performed?
- A very fine needle is inserted into the skin, flushing a sclerosing solution through the dilated vessel
- Treatment time will vary from patient to patient, depending on the areas that are being treated. The process may take 30 to 60 minutes to complete both front and back legs in one session
- For larger blue veins or varicose veins of the legs, you will be referred to an appropriate doctor who specialises specifically in larger vein treatment. Usually, sclerotherapy is advised, but other treatments may assist stubborn vessels, such as Laser Nd Yag, IPL/BBL, or Laser Genesis
- If the smallest needle is still too big to place into a vessel, then IPL or BBL, or another laser treatment, would be a better option for you
How many treatments will I need?
- For optimal results, most patients require two to three treatments, scheduled at least one month apart
- Additional treatment sessions will usually be performed about four weeks after the first treatment
What can I expect after treatment?
- Painless red and raised welts will subside overnight
- Pressure stockings are not required for spider vein treatments to the legs
- Straight after treatment, your injected areas will appear worse before they appear better while the solution is working
- By the fourth week after treatment, the inner linings of the vessels will be breaking down and the process is repeated, until the vessels are gone. The process will usually be repeated in two to three treatments, one month apart
Here at Form & Face, we provide patients with a
Lifetime followup guarantee
This means that we will be there for you far beyond the recovery period.
You can rest assured knowing that you can come to us about any
post-surgical concerns for the rest of your life.