Breast Reconstruction Mammoplasty Sydney (Implant Removal and Replacement)
- Non cosmetic procedure
- Possible rebates from medicare and private health insurance
- Day surgery only
Breast re-augmentation mammoplasty, also known as implant removal and replacement, is a common procedure in Australia. It is performed to either address aesthetic concerns due to a past augmentation mammoplasty procedure or to correct any implant problems. Breast reconstruction is performed for many reasons, and in some cases it is not a question of whether or not you need it but how soon it can be done. You might either be unsatisfied with the size of your breast implants, you might not like the shape or profile, your implants might be over 15-20 years old, you might have a ruptured implant or capsular hardening. In some cases, patients might have experienced excess weight gain or loss and have breastfed, which has impacted the results of their previous augmentation mammoplasty.
Any reason is a personal reason and is understood by Dr Norris as a choice made by yourself, for yourself. Most of the reasons listed above are medical reasons and in such cases, your reconstruction mammoplasty may be funded by your original implant company or even covered by your private health fund. These issues will all be discussed at your first consultation in detail with Dr Norris.
What happens at first breast reconstruction mammoplasty consultation?
In your first Breast Reconstruction Mammoplasty surgery consultation, Dr Norris will focus on your goals, desires and what you hope to achieve from the procedure. He will also ask you about any concerns you have and what you would like your breasts to look like. Dr Norris will evaluate your current breasts by assessing your skin tone, condition of breast tissue and fatty tissue, the position of your nipples and also ask you if you know what implants you have currently and the measurements of them. This information will greatly benefit Dr Norris in working with you to choose what implants to next use. He will measure your breasts and photographs will be taken for your medical records. Dr Norris will discuss how the breast reconstruction mammoplasty operation is performed, whether the original scar can be used and what types of implants and sizes are available. You will then be provided with a detailed quotation which outlines your options for surgery. If you decide to proceed with surgery, Dr Norris will see you again at a second consultation.
Dr Norris insists that all patients must stop smoking 2 months before embarking on any type of cosmetic surgery.
What type of implant will be used?
There are quite a few choices to be made when selecting an implant for breast reconstruction mammoplasty surgery. Below is a beginners guide to understanding implants:
- Polyurethane (furry Brazilian)
- Extra High
- Ultra High
- Anatomical (teardrop):
- Oval Base Anatomical profile inferior lower pole
- Round Base Tear drop profile moderate lower pole
- Oval base Anatomical pole superior lower pole
- Rupture Breast implants are not a lifetime device. Breast implants rupture when the shell develops a tear or hole. Ruptures can occur at any time after implantation, but they are more likely to occur the longer the implant is implanted. Severe capsular hardening can cause an implant to rupture.
- Capsular hardening Hardening around the implant is due to shrinkage of the capsule that forms as the body’s natural response to foreign material. The breast may appear firmer and may look different to the other.
- Haematoma A collection of blood in the breast pocket, which is either naturally absorbed into the body or sometimes requires further surgical drainage. Symptoms include swelling, pain, bruising, hot to touch, or itchy breast.
- Infection Infections are unpredictable and normally occur in the first 3 weeks after surgery and treated immediately with antibiotics.
- Stretch Marks Are unpredictable and vary between patients. To prevent them we advise the use of vitamin e and bio oil before and after surgery to soften the skin.
Here at Form & Face, we provide patients with a
Lifetime followup guarantee
This means that we will be there for you far beyond the recovery period.
You can rest assured knowing that you can come to us about any
post-surgical concerns for the rest of your life.