Fat Transfer Sydney
Fat Transfer to Face (Coleman’s fat transfer)
- Cosmetic elective procedure
- Not covered by private health insurance or medicare
- Day procedure only
- Can be performed under local anaesthetic in clinic
A fat transfer to the face, can either be performed in an operating theatre or at Form and Face in Bondi Junction under local anaesthetic. It involves the transfer of small amounts of your own body fat into the areas of your face that have lost volume, to make the area appear more voluminous. The results can give a more youthful and attractive appearance to these areas without the use of foreign materials and with more permanence. A fat transfer is permanent. Everyone loses a small percentage of the fat injected which is why Dr Norris will inject about 10% more than required to compensate for the loss in the first 4 weeks. This is an operation which aims to rejuvenate an ageing face and neck. The way our face looks can affect how we feel about ourselves and the way others judge us. Any procedure which refreshes and rejuvenates the face can take years off our appearance and improve self-esteem.
Cosmetic surgery is a personal choice and one every man and woman has their reasons for making. In your first consultation, Dr Norris will focus on your goals, desires and what you hope to achieve from the procedure. There will also be a discussion about concerns you have and ultimately what you would like your face to look like. Dr Norris will evaluate your face by assessing your skin tone, condition of droop or sag in skin and amount of fatty tissue. He will photograph you for your medical records. Dr Norris will discuss how the operation is performed, and where the injection site will be. You will then be given a detailed quotation which outlines your options for surgery. If you decide to proceed with surgery, Dr Norris will see you again at a second consultation.
Dr Norris insists that all patients must stop smoking 2 months before embarking on any type of cosmetic surgery.
Dr Norris performs fat transfers in fully accredited medical facilities or under local anaesthetic in the clinic for smaller areas of fat transfer. You will be introduced to the anaesthetist that Dr Norris works closely with, who will give you a general anaesthetic. The procedure can take up to 2hrs depending on how many areas are receiving the transfer.
- A fat transfer takes approx. 1hr per area to perform.
- You will be in hospital for approx. 4hrs
- A friend, or responsible adult must collect you from the hospital as you may not drive home.
- You will leave with written post-operative instructions and a prescription for pain-relief.
- Daily short showers are permitted, ensuring your keep the water off your face and wounds. Clean your face with a face washer until the surgeon instructs you to rinse over with water.
- Within the first 2 days after surgery you will experience the worst of the discomfort, managed by your prescribed pain medication.
- You might have bruising, swelling, tenderness, and sensitivity. Swelling may vary from patient to patient and should resolve by 3 weeks.
- Light exercise is permitted after 2 weeks, such as walking. Resuming normal daily exercise at 6 weeks as instructed by your Doctor.
- You can return to work after 2 days
- A follow-up appointment will be booked for you on day 3 or 7 after the operation. This is to check your surgical site.
- Haematoma A collection of blood in the wound area, which is either naturally absorbed into the body or sometimes requires further surgical drainage. Symptoms include swelling, pain, bruising, hot to touch, or itchy skin.
- Infection Infections are unpredictable and normally occur in the first 3 weeks after surgery and treated immediately with antibiotics.
- Seroma Is a build up of fluid after your surgery that can sometimes require removal via a syringe in the clinic.
- Loss of Fat In the healing phase after fat transfer, patients do loose up to 10% of the transferred fat.
Here at Form & Face, we provide patients with a
Lifetime followup guarantee
This means that we will be there for you far beyond the recovery period.
You can rest assured knowing that you can come to us about any
post-surgical concerns for the rest of your life.